Coconut oil is having a moment. Everyone's talking about how amazing it is for your skin, hair, and health. But did you know that coconut oil can also be used for a whole host of weird and wonderful things? Here are 10 of the strangest uses for coconut oil that you've ever heard of.
Some Key Features to Use Coconut Oil
1. As a Natural Deodorant: Yep, you read that right. Coconut oil can act as a deodorant if you're out of your regular stuff or if you're looking for a more natural alternative. Just apply a small amount to your underarms to help control odor-causing bacteria.
2. As a Makeup Remover: Coconut oil makes an excellent makeup remover. Just massage into your skin and wipe away with a cotton pad. It's gentle enough to use on delicate areas like your eyes and it leaves your skin feeling soft and refreshed.
3. To Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite: Got cellulite? No problem! Just massage some coconut oil into the affected area and watch as the appearance of cellulite diminishes. Bonus points if you combine with dry brushing for even better results.
4. As a Natural Lip Balm: Keep your lips soft and hydrated by using coconut oil as a makeshift lip balm. It's great for chapped lips and it tastes delicious too!
5. To Prevent Lice: Yep, coconut oil can even help prevent lice! Just apply to the scalp before bedtime and shampoo out in the morning. The lice will be gone and your hair will be softer than ever before.
6. As Shaving Cream: Ditch the shaving cream and reach for some coconut oil instead. Just apply a thin layer to the area you want to shave and go to town! Your skin will be left feeling soft and silky smooth.
7. To Soothe Sunburn: Ouch! If you've got a sunburn, reach for some coconut oil to help ease the pain and speed up healing time. Just apply liberally to the affected area and let it do its work.
8. As Insect Repellent: Keep those pesky bugs at bay by rubbing some coconut oil on your skin before heading outdoors. The strong smell will keep insects like mosquitoes away while providing much-needed moisture to your skin. Bonus points if you combine with essential oils for an extra- potent repellent blend.
9. To Get Rid Of UTI Symptoms Fast: Coconut oil has powerful antibacterial properties that can help fight off infection while helping to soothe irritation at the same time. Just add a few drops to your bathwater or apply directly to the affected area for fast relief from UTI symptoms like burning, itching, and frequent urination.
10. As Nipple Cream For Breastfeeding Mamas: If you're breastfeeding, chances are you're all too familiar with sore, cracked nipples. Luckily, coconut oil can help! Simply apply after each feeding to soothe dryness and irritation.
Can I use coconut oil on my face?
Yes, you can use coconut oil on your face. Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that is effective at treating dry skin. It also has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that make it a good choice for people with acne-prone skin. Coconut oil can be used as a standalone moisturizer or as part of a more comprehensive skincare routine.
What does coconut oil do for your skin?
Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that helps to keep your skin hydrated and looking younger. It also has anti-aging properties and can help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Coconut oil is also effective at treating acne and other skin conditions.
Can I put coconut oil directly on my skin?
Yes, you can put coconut oil directly on your skin. Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer and has antibacterial properties. It may also help to reduce inflammation and acne.
However, it's important to note that coconut oil is a comedogenic substance, which means that it can clog pores and lead to acne breakouts. If you have oily or acne-prone skin, you may want to avoid using coconut oil on your skin.
Can coconut oil remove dark spots?
Coconut oil may remove dark spots because it is a natural exfoliant. The lauric acid in coconut oil could theoretically help to remove the dead skin cells that are causing the dark spots, however, there does not appear to be a lot of science to back this up yet. We'll have to see how this plays out over time and with continued research.
Coconut oil does contain vitamin E, which may help to lighten and brighten the skin. One word of caution though. Hyperpigmentation and dark spots can have medical causes. If there is a medical condition causing the skin darkening you may need a multi-approach to address the underlying issues.
Does coconut oil help bags under the eyes?
Yes, coconut oil may help in reducing the appearance of bags under the eyes. Coconut oil contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help to reduce puffiness and swelling. Additionally, it helps to moisturize the skin and increase blood circulation, which can help to improve dark circles and other signs of fatigue.
Note: Please use caution when using any oil around your delicate eyes. Talk with your optometrist before using any oils which could harm or irritate the eyes. There are other ingredients that won't harm the delicate eye or cause eye irritation which are better suited for addressing under-eye bags.
Who knew that something as innocuous as coconut oil could have so many weird but wonderful uses? From acting as a deodorant to relieving sunburn pain, this multi-purpose product is definitely one that everyone should have in their medicine cabinet - just don't put it in your coffee ...yuck!
Follow us on GottaGuide.com, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and Quora for our latest articles on all things skincare and beauty. When you follow us on Quora we have an open platform to ask your beauty and skincare questions.